This department deals with the study of herbal plants including pharmacognosy, pharmacology and therapeutic uses of the plants. Ayurvedic drugs, especially herbs are prescribed in different pharmaceutical forms, to get maximum therapeutic effect.
The word dravyaguna consist of 2 words:
1) Dravya = material of thing which can be living or not living.
2) Guna = properties
According to Charaka their is nothing on the earth which is not medicine. That’s why Ayurveda considers all substances (including poisons) as medicine, if used for specific purposes (after purification) in an appropriate way.
Department of Dravyaguna (Pharmacology & Pharmacognosy)
Study fundamental principles of Ayurvedic raw materials with their application and uses.Theory and practicals on Ayurvedic raw materials like herbs, minerals and animal products with modern technology.
- Standardization and analysis of ingredients as per modern and Ayurvedic methodology at well equipped modern analytical laboratory in department.
- Study of pharmacology and therapeutics
- Study of cultivation and plantation of medicinal plants.
- Consists of soft and hard copy of herbal data base
- In-house storage of genuine samples of raw materials for further references
- Medicinal plants garden spread over 3 acres with more than 275 species including many rare species
- Organizes botanical tours every year for practical exploration.
List of Equipment
(To view the details, click on the respective points mentioned below)